Monday 23 March 2015

Musical Review: We Are The In Crowd (WATIC)

Believe it or not I just discovered them today. Like, two hours ago. Or more like an hour and half ago. I was browsing through YouTube music videos and stumbled upon their The Best Thing (That Never Happened) mv. It sounds really bitter and harsh and clearly indicates a post-breakup heart broken song. And I was right. Eheheheeeyy of course I'm right.

I usually don't really like such songs, you know where the singer feels just so betrayed and blame everything on their ex (kinda like Taylor Swift's songs, only that this is the pop-punk version of it) and I was, ew. But a commenter on the video said that those songs are actually very personal and emotional for the lead singer (which is female, btw, so the Taylor Swift vibe is kinda strong in this one - and surprise, her name is Tay, too!) because they were written after she broke up with Alex ATL who dumped her for his current fiancee. And I quote this from my comment on one of their music video where it features Gaskarth:


Alex Gaskarth looks exactly like that hot sexually active guy who will capture your heart with his smile then break it by kissing another girl, like, you know, the accidentally villain but true asshole you found in contemporary teenlit novels. And Taylor Jardine is the shy girl, amateur in love and just happens to caught Gaskarth's attention. They went out for date couple of times, Gaskarth made Jardine felt special then shatter her imagination of them together forever by making out with the CCP girl. Any writers here? Because this is writing material.
 
 Because, hey, it looks exactly like it! I kinda feel sorry for Jardine, she probably didn't know what was coming. But anyway, it's in the past and it has nothing to do with me even though currently I'm obsessed with ATL's albums. Oh well.


Many, many people said that this band is similar to Paramore and Tonight Alive. I've listened to Paramore on my early teenager rebellion age but not Tonight Alive, so I'm not going to say anything on that. But I'm guessing people are saying so because both bands consist on single female member and that female member is the lead singer. Both Paramore and WATIC's musics are pop-punk so I also get where the opinion come from. But I don't think that they are very similar. I mean, yeah, if you're comparing WATIC to the old days Paramore you'll get the similarity. But comparing them to the nowadays Paramore? Nope.

Their music is pretty fun to dance around to on your bedroom and your living room and your kitchen. Probably. I haven't done that. Like I said, I just discovered them probably an hour 45 minutes ago so I haven't got the chance to do so. One thing though, the singer(s) remind me of The Hush Sound. No, not because they are similar, not in the same genre. But both bands, WATIC and THS, has a female lead singer and a male singer. I was going to say 'backup' but they do more than just backing up. They got their own lines to sing so I guess... part-time singer full time guitarist?

I give them 6/10. Yes, I can be cruel and sadistic when it comes to giving ratings. Why I choose to give them six out of ten is because for the past an hour and 50 minutes I've been listening to their songs and even now while I'm typing this but I still haven't get what makes their music unique. What will make people recognise their music as theirs from like, the first seven seconds. But I guess they're pretty good. The band formed in 2009 and no member ever leave or replaced, compared to SWS which was formed in the same year. I guess WATIC will only get better and eventually they'll find their own voice. And I hope for no member departure or replacements. I hate those kind of things - not that it matters, tho.




No comments:

Post a Comment