Sunday 8 March 2015

Why I Hate Mainstream Stuff

Call me a hipster, call me a n00b. But I don't like - if not hate - anything that is mainstream. My reason isn't because I'm trying to be cool or trying to stand out or just being that snob that desperately wants to be admitted that they're different. I know that I'm cool and I know that I'm standing out and I know that I am different so those reasons just don't apply to me.

My reason why I extremely dislike anything that is mainstream is because they are often exaggerated. When something becomes mainstream it means it becomes popular; many people acknowledge it and while it is a good thing, whether it's a song, book, movie, or whatever, once people begin to talk about it like it's the only thing that currently matters in a pop culture I'd just rather mutilate an arm like that dude on 127 Hours.

No, seriously.

Do you know the Divergent series by Veronica Roth? I loved that series. I loved it. Then they just had to make a movie out of it and cast some pretty fucking good looking actors and actresses for it and occasionally ruin the book for me. Now everyone's pretty much all like "omg shaiiii" "theo marry me plx" "sheo otp" with bunch of shitty emojis (now I call them shitty just because my Blackberry doesn't support them lol face). Now everyone talks about Divergent and Insurgent and the amount of those seasonal fanboys and fangirls just enough to make me puke. Why seasonal? Because they aren't really a fan of the series. They're just following what's up with the trends and trying to be all updated and shit and it's not a bad thing. Knowing and diving into the pop culture isn't a wrong thing to do. It's just that I'm a sensitive ass hippie bitch that if everyone goes on the same way I run fast as hell towards the other direction.

Things are just so much exaggerated when they are mainstream. And the exaggeration is just such a turn off for me that they ruin the thing. I used to be all like omg guys I'm reading this sooo amazing series called Divergent by Veronica Roth and it's about people who are divided into their way of thinking but the protagonist fits not only into two categories but THREE and it's just crazy now she's against the corrupt scientist of Erudite. But now that Divergent has gone mainstream whenever I hear someone talks about it in such a manner of listen-to-me-i-know-everything-about-the-divergent-world-because-i'm-a-fan-of-it-even-though-i-only-read-it-after-the-movie-and-still-haven't-finish-the-first-book-after-eight-months-of-reading I just go all like ew.

Call me a hipster, call me a n00b. But I am disgusted by mainstream stuff and those things you know when they're mainstream either I already know before they went mainstream or I'll wait until the hype is gone before I check the stuff out. If you're into mainstream stuff, go for it. I just don't. This is just my thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment