Saturday 18 January 2014

Inheritance

Some random short story I think would be nice. This short story is so short teachers would be VERY mad if you ever dare to wear them to school. Ha, just kidding! Hope you guys enjoy it. I like the couple Janet-Evan (or Jevan), but let your imagination wanders! What happened to them? Personally, I know, but I have no time (nah, I'm just lazy) to write down all their relationship. So that's it!

*


The first thing I recognized about him is his eyes.

His eyes are a pair of sky blue on its finest day. It's so blue that other colors would envy them. And I'm afraid that if I stare at him for too long I might fly into the sky then fall hard when he doesn't look at me anymore.

So I know I should have breaking the eye contact right away, but I just can't. I stare at him, wide eyed, and almost forget to breathe.

Then the second thing I recognized is that he's talking to me.

"I'm sorry, what?" I say, feeling embarrassed. Leave it to me to make the first impression as an idiot who forgot how to breathe!

He just smile at me, like dealing with a girl like me is what he does for living. "Are you Will's acquaintance?"

"Oh," I say as realization settles. "Yes. And I don't see any other people beside those Nightingales, so I assume that you are Mr Mallory?"

His smile widen. "Thank God you didn't mistaken me as one of those Nightingale. And please call me Evan. After this will has been read the Nightingales would hate us, and we should stand together against them as friends."

I can't help but to laugh a bit. "I'm Janet. Why would they hate us?"

Evan sit then points the chair beside him and I follow. "Because," he says, studying the Nightingales that are about nine feet away, "they would receive nothing but a house and some pennies, when you and I, well, you know Will. He's filthy rich. He's going to split his wealth even for both of us."

"And why would he do that?"

He looks at me, half serious and half grinning. "You know why."

I sigh. Of course I know why. William had fight with his family years ago and hasn't contacted them even until his last breath. I honestly would even be surprised if he left them anything, considering their rejection to him; the problem that caused him to walk out his family's house with nothing but the clothes he wore, some money, and couple of clothes. Now that he died billionaire, his family only come wishing that they would inherit some.

William is--was--greatest man I ever knew. But I'm still 17, so that couldn't be relevant. There are still many men I haven't get to know yet.

But so far, William held the record. From about $75 now he has nine zeros on his bank account. Hearing Mallor--err, Evan--says Will would split that even for both of us make me shiver. I'm 17 going to 18 in thirteen months. What am I going to do with millions of money? I used to dreamed about being rich, but not this rich. My rich was more like... I don't know. Waking up late and gets no one yelling at me saying how lazy I am. Well yeah sometimes I'm lazy but life is hard and there's nothing wrong with craving more rest.

Then Will's lawyer stepped in with a map that is no doubt Will's will. As Evan predicted, the Nightingales staring at us with looks that could kill, like somehow if they stare at us long enough there would be red lights shooting at us. The only part that I'm paying enough attention was the part when the lawyer said something about "houses". I only paid attention to, "...with my house in hometown with all maids and butlers still works for her until the time she fires them; I have paid their salary for five years since first year I passed away."

So now I'm walking out of the lawyer's office a millionaire with also a house and servants. The Nightingales only received silver old watch Will wore when he left their house (Evan almost laughed, but he falsify a cough to cover it). Evan now a millionaire too, the difference is he has an apartment instead of a house. And because Will said "all my other houses and villas are belong to both my dear friend Evan Lucas Mallory and dearest little bookworm Janet Jay, they may share them and use them however they like it" it automatically bonds me with Evan together, like it or not, because we also should take care of his other places.

The only thing none of us get is his company, because he already handed it to his some kind of first mate and right hand. I'm more than glad that I didn't walk off a millionaire with new house with full servants and a CEO. It's just too much for a teenage girl.

Although I knew that my life would never be the same again, especially when a stranger but oh-so-good-looking-guy like Evan bend down and whispers to my ear, "I'll see you around."

No comments:

Post a Comment